Desert Fox Clan home page
Desert Fox Clan Forums
Return to DFC site | Forums Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RSS Feed

XBMC 'Atlantis'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Desert Fox Clan Forum Index -> Hardware/Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: XBMC 'Atlantis' Reply with quote

For those of you who are fans of XBMC in all it's glory you may be interested to know that they are soon to release a new version on the following formats:

- XBOX
- Windows
- Mac
- Linux

It's also going to support running from a USB key which is kindof neat!

More info here - http://xbmc.org/home/
Bean
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an OS X branch from XBMC called Plex (Previously XBMC OSX). I installed it yesterday on my Mac Mini connected to the big TV and it looks pretty nice and works very well.

I have a problem with the WMA 9 Pro codec that my 5.1 movie rips use, but that could be a codedcissue that I may be able to solve ... although somehow I doubt it.

http://www.plexapp.com/
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an OSX "official" version on the site (or maybe coming in this drop). It's for OSX 10.5 and 10.4 - http://xbmc.org/download/

There's also a build for apple tv on there.
Bean
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry, I was aware that the official version exists but was just trying to point out there is a more Mac Centric version that takes all the official trunk revisions and then has some Mac specific stuff in there as well.

There is another product called boxee (www.boxee.tv) that is also based on XBMC but has social networking elements built into it. It is quite nice but seems to concentate on trailers downloads etc as the default page rather than my own media, so I didn't like it for that....otherwise a really nice UI, but still in alpha.
Monty
Clansman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the beta version of XBMC Atlantis on both Windows (Vista 64) & Linux (Ubuntu Hardy Heron) for a few weeks now, and have been extremely impressed with it. It's now very stable on both platforms, and the new HD version of the Project Mayhem skin looks very snazzy Smile Highly recommended.
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my xbox to the official Atlantis release (v8.10) and I've got to say I'm really impressed. Lynx mentioned that it was a lot slicker than the previous version and he was dead right.

The upgrade was simple, just backed up my previous version, dropped the new one on, copied over my userdata folder and my wake on lan script and I was away.

I especially like the new MediaStream skin, it just seems a lot smoother and more professional than the project mayhem 3 one.

Also, it's much easier to configure now cos you do everything from the menus!
Monty
Clansman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree about the MediaStream skin .... I've also switched to it, and would not go back to PM3 now, it's so much nicer:Smile

On a related subject, has anyone checked out the included Apple Movie Trailers plug-in ? A brilliant piece of work ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Desert Fox Clan Forum Index -> Hardware/Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: