Desert Fox Clan home page
Desert Fox Clan Forums
Return to DFC site | Forums Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RSS Feed

Left 4 Dead on Friday night

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Left 4 Dead on Friday night Reply with quote

this was much fun, but made somewhat unplayable on my PC (Athlon 64 x2 / GeForce 8600 GT) by the game locking up quite constantly at various points during gameplay, for 7 or 8 seconds at a time.

I have since played with the options and it seems setting the following cures this:-

Options --> Video --> Advanced --> Multicore Rendering = Disabled
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting both myself and Lynx were having exactly the same problem so it's not just you're box. I'd also had the problem when I'd sparked up the single player version so it's not the netcode and wondered about what it could be.

Mines an Athlon 3800 so it's also multi-core. Wonder if it's a known problem. I'll try the setting next time we play and see if it cures it.

Can I also just echo your "was much fun" comment as it was a really really fun evening of zombie bashing. There were many memorable parts to our campaign...

1. You lot getting off the tower and surviving the first level (and me dying in the process by not seeing the hole in the landing pad thus allowing the horde to get me).
2. Gee not coming down into the corn field having opted to "pick them off from above". Forgetting of course that if the Smoker got him we couldn't help him.
3. Holding that room on the last level for what felt like fifteen minutes with everyone having a job and sticking to it then we finally got out of there to cheers all round.
4. Lynx wanting "just one more game" at 1.30 in the morning.

All in all a fantastic team game that actually rewards you for playing like a team (you can't afford to get too far ahead or too far behind) and I'm sure a big winner for Bob Lan where you'll be able to play the zombies as well as the survivors. It also doesn't reward camping so chod knows what Mes will do Wink

I'll also add this note for your vague amusement... I know I'd had six very large beers but as I left Lynx's house at 1.30am with my PC tucked under my arm I fell over on the ice on the path outside. My body was saved from significant harm by me landing on top of my PC which bore the brunt of the damage. The front of the case completely smashed off (I've just spent the last 30 minutes glueing it back together) but amazingly everything else is working fine. As I lay on the ground I couldn't help engage in a fit of giggles as I'd remembered Lynx's words not 4 hours earlier... "yes, the paths outside of my house aren't that slippy but up where Mes lives... now they look really treacherous".
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS it would appear that the multicore rendering issue is a known problem with the Nvidia 180 drivers which Valve are working to fix.
Monty
Clansman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In advance of nVidia getting their finger out, this may be of use;

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793920
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% off left 4 dead this weekend so if you're thinking of buying it now would be the tmie!
Monty
Clansman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased for 13 .... bring on the zombies Smile
Mesmer
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first go at this on Friday - what a superb game. Really intense at times.

I like the auto-comms when one member of the team finds weapons or ammo. I also like how they show outlined characters thru walls so you always know where your team members are.

Can it only support 4 players on multiplayer? If so, that does limit it a bit for full-on LAN play. However, it makes it the ideal candidate for the men, when the console whoopsies go off to mince around with microphones and fake guitars.
Wij
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can play 4v4 I think.

Humans vs Zombies
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New nvidia drivers out the other day are saying that they've fixed hitching on Left 4 Dead for geforce 200 series cards... I've not tried it with my gefore 9 series card yet to see if it's been fixed.

Anyone around for a game tonight?
Mesmer
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz,

Will give them a try.

Yes, there's a mail doing the rounds to your work address. Gee and myself are in, Bob is out, no reply from Scott.

Cheers,

Steve
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolio, been on hols in the Dales so not had chance to see it.

Will see you tonight!
AngryDaz
Post Farm0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just given the new drivers a blast on a single player game and I didn't encounter the same problem I previously did with multicore rendering so it's looking very promising.

Hopefully it will be the same when the netcode is used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Desert Fox Clan Forum Index -> Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: